04 January 2008

Things I overlooked in 2007.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not one of those people who focuses on getting albums and DVDs as soon as it's released; seeing a movie that just opened or watching a TV show from beginning to end. It's very rare that I find something that hits me as soon as it's unveiled to the public, so it's no surprise that most of the things I end up loving is a little delayed from most people's initial reactions. That being said, here's a list of a few things I overlooked last year, if you hadn't already figured it out by the title of this entry.


















While I was never behind on Spencer Krug's brilliance due to his previous stints with Wolf Parade and Frog Eyes, and was even all about his other side projects Sunset Rubdown and Swan Lake, my constant craving for another Wolf Parade album was too much for me to stomach knowing that he released two albums with Sunset Rubdown. In short, even though I really enjoyed the last Sunset Rubdown album Shut Up I Am Dreaming, I just didn't want to give its newest release, Random Spirit Lover, a chance. But boy, after getting the album today and listening to just the first 38 seconds of the beginning track, I said, "Yep, I was wrong." What a great fucking album. Damn. I mean, there's no way you can ever short-sight Krug because the guy's a fucking badass. As I've claimed once in a review, he's the Eric Clapton in the 00s indie world: whatever band he's in, it's gonna be guaranteed gold.
































Jay Smooth--I didn't know who the hell you were was until I stumbled across your vlog earlier today. Now I shall pass along your genius to others. People--read it. Listen to him speak. Now. It'll seriously help you restore your faith in humanity.

















Apparently Pushing Daisies was all the rage last fall as the new "it" show. And rightly so. Goddam, that show is good, and I'm saying this after one viewing! Ain't that some shit? What a great plot. And I'm so glad that homegirl from Sisters (anybody else remember that 90s show based around a bunch of whiny white girls who also happened to be sisters? I loved it as a kid who was bored on a Saturday night). Anyway, the episode I saw, which was the first introduction to Paul Reuben's character Oscar Vibenius, was great and in the end it touched me to tears because the synchronized swimmer sisters (with said chick from that show I just mentioned) finally got the nerve to go back to swimming and Olive is great (she was also great in that final episode of Ugly Betty). I'm just a-ramblin'!
















I got to see The Savages a few days ago and I must say, I was really intrigued the whole way through, despite the fact that scenes were droned out and there weren't much of a quick edit trend in the film. Nevertheless, I was equally pleased by Laura Linney's and Philip Seymour Hoffman's performances. Director Tamara Jenkins did a fantastic job in capturing a realistic point of view of two siblings overcoming their hatred and embitterment towards their estranged father they now had to take care due to his poor health and old age. And lemme just say that PSH really did it big on Oh-Seven by have three strong portrayals in three critically acclaimed films (Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Charlie Wilson's War).



















Lastly, is 30 Rock not a sheer witfest? I mean, how can you ever go wrong with not only Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan, but Alec Baldwin, too? Camman--you're exciting me too much here. Of course, this show is a year-old, but after watching it for the first time a few weeks back, I couldn't have been more gleeful. The only reason why I couldn't get into to it was the fact that the schedule conflicted with my Ugly Betty time, but now that NBC jumped the bandwagon of networks airing episodes online, I'm good to go. I love Baldwin and Fey's interaction with each other, especially Baldwin when he tells Liz "I just want you to be discrete, and try not to dress like a small-town lesbian." And then you take a glimpse of her wardrobe and realize how accurate he is. Ahhh, good stuff.

Good news: these babies have helped me start off the new year juuuuuust right.

No comments: